It’s been over a year since Mojang Studios announced in late 2020 that it will be moving to Microsoft Accounts on Minecraft. It was further evidence of the studio’s growing integration with its parent company. Today, the developer states that the planned migration is underway.
Until now, players of Minecraft: Java Edition and Minecraft Launcher on PC used Mojang accounts to play the game. This is changing according to Mojang’s long-standing plan. The company claims that switching to Microsoft accounts provides a more secure and seamless connection with broader Microsoft services and other versions of Minecraft.
With a deadline for the migration, all Minecraft: Java Edition users will be required to use a Microsoft account. After March 10, 2022, an official Microsoft account will be required to play the Java Edition.
Mojang is giving gamers some time to voluntarily migrate from their old account to a Microsoft account. After this period, Mojang accounts will no longer work on Minecraft: Java Edition.
Mojang explains the following details regarding a smooth account migration process:
- “The migration is free and only takes a few minutes. An option to begin the migration process will appear in the Minecraft Launcher or Minecraft website each time you log in
- Minecraft: Java Edition is still fully supported and unchanged, and all of your save data, worlds, profile information, and even mods remain fully intact and migrate seamlessly.
- You’ll get extra security with a Microsoft account, including the option of full two-factor authentication (2FA)
- You’ll also get extra online privacy and security through a Microsoft account, with lots of extra options and settings to customize.
- A Microsoft account can be used to access a variety of services with a single sign-in, including Minecraft: Java Edition, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, and Minecraft Dungeons through Microsoft Launcher”
To reward players making the migration, Mojang is giving everyone a free cape for their Minecraft character. It should be noted that the freebie is available even if you miss the deadline and migrate because you have to.
Tip of the day: Is your system drive constantly full and you need to free up space regularly? Windows 10 Disk Cleanup in Extended Mode that goes far beyond the standard procedure. Our tutorial also shows you how to create a desktop shortcut to run this advanced method directly from the desktop.