Minecraft players participating in the Bedrock game beta can download an update which adds a new block type and species, as well as bug fixes like underwater visibility and character modeling. The full patch notes are outlined below.
The star is the new Axolotl species. Although they were previously included in the game on a limited basis, this walking salamander will now spawn naturally in water, making it easier to locate and breed. Although cute, Axolotls are also deadly, attacking fish, guardians, squids and other wildlife.
Adorable, comfortable in a bucket and not afraid to defeat your enemies for you! We not only describe each member of the development team, but also the star of this week’s Bedrock Beta: the axolotl!
Find out how to join the beta:
↣ https://t.co/zIETxlIoM3 ↢ pic.twitter.com/m0Jd3VkUzy
—Minecraft (@Minecraft) March 31, 2021
The update also adds the Deepslate block to the game. There are different types of Deepslate available to mine, such as ores and slabs, and can be found in the Overworld.
Elsewhere, the update fixes several bugs. This includes improving underwater visibility at all levels (but especially in water-filled caverns), fixing character model issues where the trident was incorrectly positioned, ensuring lightning rods activate watchers and the activation of the classic “jungle” vines in the lush caves.
Minecraft Bedrock, formerly known as Minecraft Pocket Edition, refers to the entire Minecraft suite from developers Mojang Studios, SkyBox Labs, Xbox Game Studios and others. Anyone who owns Minecraft can jump into the Bedrock beta by accepting or opting out of the Xbox Insider Hub app. From there, players can enable Caves and Cliffs beta featureswhere this new Minecraft update resides.
Minecraft Bedrock Update 22.214.171.124 Patch Notes
- Spawning – Axolotls spawn underground, in water.
- Temptation and Breeding – Holding a bucket of tropical fish will cause nearby axolotls to follow the player on land and water. Axolotls cannot be tamed, but they can be bred by feeding them buckets of tropical fish.
- Attack – Axolotls will attack Fish, Squid, Drowned, and Guardians.
- Colors – Axolotls come in a variety of colors, all with an equal chance of breeding with the exception of blue. Blue axolotls have a small chance to breed as a mutation when breeding 2 axolotls.
- Drying – Axolotls can survive on dry land for a few minutes. After that, they will begin to dry out and take continuous damage until they are rehydrated.
- Playing Dead – When taking damage, there is a chance that the axolotl will play dead. By playing dead, the axolotl will regenerate health and mobs will not be able to target the axolotl.
- Combat Regeneration – When a player kills a monster the axolotl was attacking, they are rewarded with the regeneration effect and their mining fatigue is removed if they have it.
- Buckets – Axolotls can be picked up with buckets, like fish.
- The following Deepslate blocks have been added:
- Deep slate.
- Deep slate paved.
- Deep slate slab paved.
- Deep slate paved stairs.
- Deep slate paved wall.
- Deepslate polished.
- Deep polished slate slab.
- Deepslate polished stairs.
- Deep polished slate wall.
- Deep slate tiles.
- Deep slate tile slab.
- Deep slate tile stairs.
- Deep slate tile wall.
- Deep slate bricks.
- Deep slate brick slab.
- Deep slate brick stairs.
- Deep slate brick wall.
- Deep lapis-slate ore.
- Deepslate iron ore.
- Deep slate gold ore.
- Deep slate redstone ore.
- Deep slate diamond ore.
- Deep slate coal ore.
- Deep emerald ore.
- Deep slate copper ore.
- Cracked deepslate tiles.
- Cracked Deepslate Bricks.
- Deepslate chiseled.
- Deepslate is generated in blobs below y=16.
- Ore is generated normally, when ore is generated where Deepslate was generated, Deepslate ore is generated instead.
- Axolotls do not breed naturally in the world.
- Leashes attached to axolotls float too high above their heads.
Bug fixes and adjustments
- Improved underwater visibility in all kinds of water, especially water-filled caverns.
- Oxidized copper block variants can now be waxed.
- Adjusted the blocks that can be placed on a pointed drip, to match Java .Edition(MCPE-116098, MCPE-116056, MCPE-116050).
- The pointed drip now breaks correctly when pushed by a plunger (MCPE-116095).
- Drainer and Pointed Drainer now have correct sounds when walking/jumping on them (MCPE-119694).
- Glistening Lichen is now part of the Nature category in the Creative Inventory (MCPE-122600).
- Lightning Rods now properly activate Observers when struck by lightning.
- Large drip sheets can now be waterlogged.
- The large dripleaf now properly rears itself after being hit by a projectile (MCPE-121666).
- The Small Drip Leaf can now also be placed on Dirt, Farmland, Grass, Moss Block, and Podzol while its stem is underwater.
- The foam block now blocks water (MCPE-121796).
- Ladder, Vines, Twisting Vines, Weeping Vines, Sweet Berry Bush, Nether Sprouts, and Fire can now be placed on foam blocks (MCPE-121828).
- Spore Blossom drops correctly when broken with shears (MCPE-122054).
- Mobs can now find a path through foam blocks (MCPE-121967).
- Lush caves can now contain classic “jungle” vines.
- Fixed a bug where the screen reader would not read the targeted button on some screens.
- Fixed a bug where the English screen reader would pronounce “button A” as “button”, now saying “button A” instead.
- The trident in the hands of players and mobs is now correctly positioned in all perspective modes (MCPE-116681).
- Tweaked trident raising animation for first person to better match the previous version.
- Water buckets can now be used to pick up fish (MCPE-94520).
- Rabbits can now loot carrot crops (MCPE-113321).
- Animals can no longer be infinitely fed until they are bred (MCPE-19309).
Other known issues in this beta:
- Placing Glow Lichen on all sides of a single block may cause a crash (MCPE-122599).
GameSpot may earn a commission on retail offers.